Home    ●    Site Map    ●    Contact US 

Maine Public Employees Retirement System
P.O. Box 349, Augusta, ME 04332-0349
toll free: (800) 451-9800 ● local: (207) 512-3100

Actuarial Valuations
Employer Update
Emp. Contribution Rates:
Group Life Insurance
New Member Info
One-Time Election

Employer Self Service
Frequently Asked Questions

Revised: May 2013


Security and Information Access


Q) Who assigns user names and security access levels?
MainePERS issues a user name and initial password to employer Security Administrators at each employer. In turn, the Security Administrator issues a user names, initial passwords, and security access levels to the employer’s individual users.  Specifics are detailed in the ESS User Guide for Security Administrators.


Q) Who do I contact if I cannot connect to the ESS website?
A) Depending on the issue, your employer’s IT support person may be able to help you. Or, contact MainePERS for specification requirements or general assistance.


Q) Who do I contact if I lock myself out of the system or need different security?
A) If you are the Security Administrator, please call MainePERS Employer Services at 1-800-451-9800.


Q) If I am responsible for more than one Employer Code (for example Teacher and PLD School Support) can I have access to both Employers under one user name?
A) No. Each different employer will require a separate user name. However, a user can access more than one location under the same employer.


Q) I work at the school but submit data for the school support that is under the Town. How do I get access to both employers?
A) The Security Administrator for the school will issue you user access to the school employer location. The Security Administrator for the Town/City will need to provide you with a different user name to access the school support employer location.


Q) Will an employer have the ability to limit their own users’ access to certain groups of employees within the same employer location?
A) No, a user has access, based upon the privileges granted, to all employees under that employer location.


Q) Can ESS user privileges be removed from the system?
A) Yes. An employer’s Security Administrator will have the authority to add, delete or change privileges of a user. MainePERS will have the authority to add, delete or change privileges of a Security Administrator.




Q) If I submit a form on-line through the ESS system, do I need to send MainePERS a paper copy?
A) No


Q) Some forms ask for the employee’s signature. Does MainePERS need the employee to sign the form?
A) MainePERS does not require an employee’s signature on any form submitted through ESS. The employer, however, may be responsible to obtain an employee’s authorization before submitting the form. Employers may wish to print a copy of the form and have the employee sign it for your internal records.


Q) Member Beneficiary Forms are not listed in ESS?
A) Beneficiary forms are member forms, not employer forms. Members should submit paper beneficiary forms directly to MainePERS.


Q) If I submit a Membership Application in ESS, does the member information update immediately so that I can report that member on payroll?
A) Yes.


Q) Do I need to submit a Membership Application on an employee who is declining membership?
A) Yes


Q) How do I “transfer-in” a current teacher member to my employer?
A) You must enter a Membership Application on all new employees that are eligible for membership. Changes to a current employee’s Member Contract may also require submission of a Membership Application.


Payroll Reporting


Q) How do I submit payroll data if I used to send MainePERS a “paper” report?
A) You now enter the payroll data directly into ESS.


Q) What should an employer do to change from manually entering data to uploading a payroll file electronically?
A) Let your payroll vendor know that you want to change to the electronic payroll filing format (EPF). Then, contact MainePERS who will work with you and/or your vendor.


Q) Did ESS cause changes to be made to the “old” EPF file?
A) The file format has not changed. Group Life Insurance data, however, cannot be included on your EPF file now. Also, you may need to change the values being reported for some data elements on the file. Specifics are detailed in the ESS Electronic Payroll Filing Manual.


Q) What should I do if the system will not allow me to process my file because of “errors”?
A) The Validation Guides for EPF and Manual Payroll Filing will help you decide what data must be corrected. And, Employer Services Technicians can also assist you with interpreting edit messages.


Q) If my vendor currently uploads my EPF file on my behalf, will my vendor still be allowed to upload into ESS?
A) Yes. Your Security Administrator would be responsible for giving the vendor security access by establishing the vendor as a user. You should also consider who will make corrections, if needed, to the file during the validation process. That is up to you.


Q) If one payroll person is responsible for submitting more than one payroll report, such as a Town/City and a School Support, can these reports be combined?
A) No. Each employer location must be reported separately.


Q) If I discover that data on a previously submitted payroll was incorrect, how do I report this and who corrects the incorrect data?
A) You must submit a Payroll Adjustment Form through ESS. These forms can be found in the Employer Management/Member Forms area of ESS. Based on the information submitted on your Payroll Adjustment Form, MainePERS will adjust your employee’s record.




Q) Will I be required to submit payment by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)?
A) While we strongly encourage you to consider EFT payments, MainePERS does accept paper checks.


Q) Do I still need to mail a Summary Report with my check or EFT payment?
A) In ESS, the Remittance Report has replaced the Summary Report. All payments, made by EFT or check, must include a Payment Identifier in the description. The Payroll Identifier will appear on your Remittance Report. If you mail a check, you may include a copy of the remittance Report but it is not required.


Q) Does a payment identifier need to be included on a payment not related to payroll filing?
A) Yes


Q) Will the Remittance Report show me a breakdown of the amount due for the payroll submitted?
A) Yes


Home  |  Disability  |  FAQs  |  Group Life Insurance  |  Investments  |  Laws/Legislation  |  Links  |  Publications  |  Site Map  |  Location/Directions  |  Contact Us

Information contained on this Web site is neither a legal reference nor a complete statement of the laws or MainePERS administrative rules. In any conflict between this information and Maine laws or administrative rules, the laws and administrative rules shall prevail.

Copyright © Maine Public Employees Retirement System.  All Rights Reserved.